Forest Research Institute Malaysia (FRIM) is one of the leading institutions in tropical forestry research in the world. Founded in 1929, the former Forest Research Institute became a full-fledged statutory body, governed by the Malaysian Forestry Research and Development Board (MFRDB) under the Ministry of Primary Industries, in 1985. From 2003, FRIM and MFRDB were placed under the purview of the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (NRE). On 1 October 2016, the new FRIM Act came into force and the MFRDB was replaced by new Members of the Institute with four additional representatives from corporate sector to assist in its commercialisation endeavours. After the 14th General Election in 2018, the NRE was restructured to form the Ministry of Water, Land and Natural Resources (KATS) and in March 2020, KATS was reorganised to form the Ministry of Energy and Natural Resources (KeTSA).
The Institute sits on a 545-ha site adjacent to the Bukit Lagong Forest Reserve in the Kepong municipality, 16 km northwest of Kuala Lumpur. FRIM was awarded the MS ISO 9001:2015 certification starting 2017. It was gazetted as a Natural Heritage Site on 10 February 2009 under the National Heritage Act 2005, and officially declared as a National Heritage on 10 May 2012. FRIM is working towards attaining the recognition as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Its nomination to be included into the Tentative List of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites was accepted at the 41st World Heritage Committee (WHC) Meeting held in Krakow, Poland on 7 July 2017. The Institute is led by Dato’ Dr Abd Latif Mohmod as its Director General.
To provide leadership in advancing the country’s tropical forestry research, development, commercialisation and application.
To intensify R&D, engage community for benefit sharing, enhance technology transfer and strengthen science-based knowledge in addressing local and global forest-related issues affecting the country’s biodiversity, environment and industries.
- To generate scientific knowledge for the understanding, management, conservation and use of forest resources.
- To achieve excellence in research and development through the use of the latest scientific equipment.
- To study biodiversity to produce useful products through intensive research and development.
- To develop related technology to fulfill the needs of the forestry industry.
- To package research and development findings for dissemination to clients.
- To commercialize research and development findings through technology transfer to all interested parties.
- To provide excellent service to fulfill client needs.
- To create strategic cooperation with local and international agencies.
- To raise public awareness regarding the importance of the environment and the conservation of forest biodiversity.
- To provide human resource development programmes to produce a class of authoritative and competent scientists.
- To provide a work environment that is conducive to encourage creative thinking among scientists and a close relationship with clients.
- To disseminate the technological and research products as well as giving accurate and professional advice and technical services.
- To provide practical solutions to problems involving management and usage of forest resources and products.
- To provide facilities and professional services in order to raise environmental awareness.
- planning and implementing research for the development of the forestry sector and conservation of forest resources;
- obtaining and disseminating research information to enhance forest management and the use of forest products;
- establishing joint research and joint forest development with other bodies within and outside Malaysia.
Corporate Quality Policy
FRIM is committed to providing effective research and related supporting services to fulfil its customers’ needs. We ensure that those working with and for us shall be committed and adhered to the identified quality standards. FRIM will carry out continual improvements to enhance the effectiveness of related systems.
Operational Quality Policy
We are responsible for :
- conducting research and providing quality professional services appropriate to the customers’ needs and expectations in the tropical forestry and forest product sectors;
- implementing Quality Management System (QMS) effectively within the scope of research, training, testing & calibrating, selling, renting and consultancy services, in accordance to MS ISO 9001 requirements;
- monitoring the effectiveness in the implementation of the QMS through customers feedback;
- ensuring that the continual improvement on quality objectives through effective corrective and preventive actions based on the key performance indicator analysis which is done consistently;
- ensuring that all procedures and services provided to customers are reviewed to meet the standard requirements;
- ensuring that any failure towards achieving the identified standard is reviewed and evaluated to be used as a reference in the continual improvement process;
- ensuring that the quality policy is understood by FRIM personnel through briefings, meetings and poster exhibitions and
- ensuring that all personnel implement the policies and procedures in all aspects of services provided to the customers.