14 October 2019 (Monday) – Forest Research Institute Malaysia (FRIM) bagged two major prizes at the Selangor Research, Development and Innovation (R,D&I) Expo on 10–13 October. FRIM’s innovation projects took top prizes of the R&D Competition and Pitching Competition at the expo held in Kuala Lumpur.
|Farah Fazwa (fifth from right) and her research team with the awards and trophies won.||Khairul explaining about the ‘In-situ tester for furniture’ innovation project at the pitching session.|
The aim of the expo was to promote research among universities and research institutes as well as providing a platform for forming commercialisation collaboration and industrial networks.
|Rushdan posing with his trophy at FRIM exhibition booth.||Getha explaning about her research project.|
FRIM innovation projects involved in the expo were:
- R&D Competition (university/college category):
- Champion: Production of high quality planting materials of popular herbal species in Malaysia, Labisia pumila (Kacip Fatimah) headed by Dr Farah Fazwa Md Ariff;
- Fourth place: ‘Ciéra: Inisiatif bioprospek, pembangunan dan pengkomersilan produk pembasmi kuman mesra alam berasaskan hasilan semula jadi’ (Dr Mastura Mohtar);
- Sixth place: Pulp from rice straw for packaging (Dr Rushdan Ibrahim); and
- Eighth place: NeoTRAI Antibact gel: Innovation in wound care (Dr Getha Krishnasamy).
- Pitching Competition (institution category):
- Champion: ‘Genotip superior Kapal Terbang (Chromolaena odorata) ke arah pengeluaran produk merawat luka’ (Dr Farah Fazwa Md Ariff);
- Fourth place: ‘Pembangunan sistem inventori aset hidup tumbuhan di tapak semaian’ (Dr Siti Salwana Hashim); and
- Fifth place: In-situ tester for furniture (Khairul Masseat).